Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Sr. Engineer - Metal Innovation and Engineering in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
*Primary Purpose of Position: *
Provides technical support for the research and development function as directed.
- Subject matter expert for high speed aluminum metal forming technologies, including drawing, ironing, stamping, impact extrusion and spinning.
- Creates new packaging designs in aluminum and generates / executes various mechanical and process testing on new packaging.
- Works with design team to develop metal forming tooling and sequences to create final product. Strong technical drawing, dimensioning (including GD&T;), metrology, tool manufacture and machine design knowledge needed.
- Works with new and existing suppliers to create new or transfer existing processes to metal forming.
- Strong customer presentation skills and ability to manage customer relationships. Interacts well with customers to generate new packaging designs and validates package integrity on customer filling lines.
- Creates and documents innovations into finalized IP, including patents and trade secrets
- Makes use of analytical & statistical evaluation & analysis tools such as DOE, FMEA, cost models, statistically relevant / significant sample sizes & run lengths w/ control data comparisons
- Seek, identify, & proactively address areas of concern such as lack of resources, project delays, etc. by creating recovery paths where needed
- Create comprehensive engineering packages (recipes) for operations & engineering to optimize production startups & minimize operational issues in the plant environment – often requires heavy support/collaboration in creating / editing quality test methods / equipment / SOP’s, operational SOP’s, tooling, material specs & EHS documentation, etc.
- Strong leadership skills, high level project management skills and ability to lead and make quick decisions. Use stage gate & project management tools & documentation to enable & document cross functional collaboration w/ areas such as business development, sales, operations, & engineering
- Ability to generate/support business cases for new products including evaluation of capital equipment, support equipment and material usage.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college level education or work-related experience
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field, such as mathematics, metallurgy or physics, required
- MS in Engineering or a related technical field a plus
- Job related experience for 4-8 years minimum
- Good understanding of statistical principles
- Good Business Acumen Skills – MBA a plus
- Good ability to multitask and think / troubleshoot in a nonlinear manner
- Experience working with geographically dispersed engineering and business teams
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and follow directions
- Ability to articulate and promote project management best-practices
- Ability to overcome roadblocks by enabling others with clear communication, troubleshooting, and at times simply propping up others where needed
- High level of project management skills and good with project/program management tools such as MS project
- Ability to lead small teams and engage/motivate others
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Sr. Engineer - Metal Innovation and Engineering
Job ID: 664113
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time